The Productive Author’s Guide series is a system of quick-read guide books for incorporating more technology tools into your writing craft.
This is an ongoing series of writing guides that empower you toward greater life balance, by showing you how to get traction on your writing projects. Who doesn’t want that?!
Check out our first title in the series:
THE PRODUCTIVE AUTHOR’S GUIDE TO DICTATION.
– Speak Your Way to Higher (and Healthier!) Word Counts –
We’d love to connect with you! Find out more about this title just below this form. Sign up to stay updated on the latest and greatest resources from this site! We promise to not bombard you with drivel and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Available Titles in the Series:
From the author, Cindy Grigg:
THE PRODUCTIVE AUTHOR’S GUIDE TO DICTATION is the book I wish I’d had when I started adopting this skill for my creative fiction and non-fiction writing.
In this book, I start by describing why I needed dictation, the benefits I’ve seen, and the obstacles I’ve had to overcome in adopting this skill…(and I will show you how I did so!) Spoiler: Dictation has helped me attain higher word counts, with less harm to my body from sitting around all the time, and more creativity!
Next, I’ll point you in the right direction for choosing dictation software and hardware for dictation and explain your easiest path to getting started.
Finally, I’ll suggest exploration drills in the form of a four-week plan for becoming more comfortable with dictation. As a college instructor for business and technology courses for over a decade, I know that everyone is different when it comes to assimilating a new skill, so my hope is to offer you several ways to overcome the learning curve associated with dictation.
I go over major commands users of Dragon should focus on, both because it is the most popular dictation tool on the market and because it packs enough features to serve as a conceptual baseline for other programs you may decide on instead.
Dictation has been an absolute game changer for my writing, and since writing is such a huge part of my life, it’s been a life-changer. I hope you’ll check it out and give it a try!!
– AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR EBOOK ON AMAZON –
Looking for more detail? Here are more specifics about what to expect from THE PRODUCTIVE AUTHOR’S GUIDE TO DICTATION :
- A four-week, three-stage system for mastering dictation skills while finishing 55,000 words in your work in progress, in about two hours per day (estimated, everyone’s learning speed varies)…NaNoWriMo anyone?!
- 26 dictation drills to mix and match according to what works best for you in three areas: General Commands, Verbal Storytelling, and Creative Flow
- Prompted and unprompted dictation passages from classic literature (the works of Bram Stoker, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, James Joyce, Lewis Carroll, and others)
- An overview of voice assistant, speech recognition, and transcription software options for Mac OS X, Windows, Windows Phone, iOS, Android, and BlackBerry, including dozens of mobile apps
- An overview and comparison tables of transcription hardware accessories including digital recorders and external microphones or headsets
- An overview of hiring and working with a human transcriptionist
- An overview of dictation with note-taking apps like Evernote, Microsoft OneNote, and Google Keep
- Tips for dictating web searches, email, word processed documents, spreadsheets, slide shows, notes, social media updates, and more
- Links to where you can find more in-depth guides and resources
- A stray pep talk or two (while learning dictation is absolutely worth it, you’ll need them!)
Buy your digital copy of The Productive Author’s Guide to Dictation here…for yourself, or a writer in your life.
More titles in THE PRODUCTIVE AUTHOR’S GUIDE TO WRITING series to come!